Who Are Dog Bite Lawyers?
If you have been bitten by a dog, you may need a dog bite lawyer to pursue legal action after a dog bite injury. About one in every 60 people in the United States suffers a dog bite annually. As a nation of dog lovers, Americans keep dogs as pets. This gives joy and affection and provides unconditional love and companionship.
All canine interactions are positive because sometimes dogs may be dangerous. Dogs can bite causing serious injuries. Over 36% of households in the USA are home to at least one dog but unfortunately, some of them also bite. Those bites can sometimes be quite serious. Approximately 1 million dog bite victims seek medical attention.
If you have been bitten by a dog or an animal then you need to find the right dog bite lawyer to handle your case. Law gives you the best support if you suffer some personal injuries due to the negligence of some person or a company. Dog bite lawyers or dog bite injury attorneys have the knowledge and experience necessary to represent clients in the wake of a fatal dog attack.
Most Common Victims Of Dog Bites
The most common victims of dog bite attacks are:
- Children aged under teen
- Elderly people
Common Injuries Reported In Dog Bite Lawsuits
Dog bite lawyers have to deal with different clients. This basic difference is based on the nature of dog attack. Common injuries reported in dog bite claims include:
- Cuts, bruises
- Crush injuries
- Tissue loss
- Bite or teeth marks
- Sprains and strains
- Head / skull injuries
- Injuries of arms, legs, and torso
- Infections, rabies and C. canimorsus (a commensal bacterium found in dogs and cats)
What to Do After A Dog Bites You
If you have been bitten by a dog or your loved one has been injured, here are some steps you should try to follow:
(A) Seek Medical Attention
- Call 911 for emergency medical assistance.
- Seek medical assistance as soon as possible as any dog bite should be seen by a medical professional. Even minor injuries require medical attention.
- Inquire about rabies vaccination.
- You must check if there was a “Beware of animal” sign.
- See whether the animal has tags indicating a veterinary office and/or that it has had its vaccination shots.
- If the dog is biting or snapping at random objects, foaming at the mouth then tell the responding paramedics.
(B) Document The Incident
- You will want evidence that accurately shows what happened to you at the time of the accident itself so it is important to document the scene of the incident. It will also help your dog bite lawyer in preparing your case.
- Photograph any visible injuries where the dog bit you and anything else that may be relevant. This provides a lot of help to your dog bite lawyer in filing a strong personal injury lawsuit.
- Take snapshots of the animal that caused your injuries.
- Document if there was a “beware of dog” sign.
- You must save any clothing that may have been damaged by the animal.
- Ask help from a doctor in creating evidence of your claim.
- Obtain the name and contact number of the dog owner and report the incident to the police.
- Get complete information from the people who witnessed the incidence.
- Do not communicate with the owner of the dog because if you accept any compensation, you may waive your right to sue for additional damages caused by the animal. It is best approach to hire a dog bite lawyer to get maximum compensation fund for you.
- Document anything that could be helpful to your claim.
(C) Call The Police Or Animal Control Officials
- You should call the police to tell them what happened to you.
- File a dog bite report with your local animal control.
- Provide contact number of the dog owner to the police or animal control officials.
- If the dog is a stray then pen the dog in a fenced yard, garage or other enclosed place.
(D) Contact A Dog Bite Attorney
- Calculate all of the injury losses you have incurred.
- Obtain compensation with the help of dog bite claims under North Carolina law.
- Having personal injury lawyer especially dog bite lawyer will help you file claims.
- Your dog bite lawyer will try to seek financial and non-financial relief. Financial relief or compensation covers the costs of medical treatment.
Why Dog Attacks Happen
Dogs are kept as pets in many houses and they are friends of humans indeed. But if they feel threatened they can cause serious injuries. Every year about five million people in the USA are found victims of dog attacks. Of all these attacks about 1 million dog attacks need medical attention.
Children below the age of 10 are top victims to the dog bite attacks. This is due to the unfamiliarity of the conditions around. Kids are also small in physical structure so they are liable to dog attacks. Majority of dog bites occur because of one or more of the following reasons:
- Dogs are possessive creatures and they are protective of their toys, beds, food, and even their owners. These type of traits are common in herding breeds. Guard dogs are also very possessive. Even a harmless dog can turn into a dangerous one if someone is snatching the food or toys of a dog.
- Dogs also become dangerous when they are fearful. you must teach your children to deal with a new family dog.
- Dogs also act dangerously when they encounter situations with strangers.
- Many dogs are fearful when they encounter situations with strangers. It’s important that you never approach an unfamiliar dog and it’s important that you teach your children to do the same.
- If you wake up a sleeping dog for when a dog is eating then it can turn into a fearful monstrous creature so it is important to teach your children to never sneak up on a sleeping dog.
- Some dogs tend to bite when they are in pain or agony. When a dog is not feeling well then it must be left completely alone.
- One must avoid wrestling with a dog. Although it is a joyful activity, a dog can misinterpret your behavior so you must advise your children especially to avoid wrestling with a dog.
- Cyclists and runners are most prone to dog bite attacks because dogs love to chase. It is important for you to remain aware of the surrounding environment. And if you feel that a dog is chasing you then you must do the following things:
- You must Stop immediately and don’t move.
- Do not look into the eyes of a dog as it gives a challenge to the animal.
- Face the dog but do not peep into the eyes.
- If you are knocked down by a dog then you must curl up and protect your neck and face.
Dog Bite Compensation
A dog bite lawyer can claim the followings in your dog bite lawsuit:
- Diminished earning capacity if you are not much able to work then you can ask for compensation.
- Emotional or mental distress.
- Future medical expenses related to the damage.
- Medical expenses or surgical costs.
- Pain and suffering costs.
- Lost income due to loss of earning ability. This might include lost wages.
- Loss of a loved one.
- Property damage, such as to broken eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc.
- Expenses associated with other long-term medical care.
- Other related losses.
Tips For Choosing The Best Dog Bite Lawyer
You can find help from dog attack attorneys in your states wherever you live. California, Florida, Seattle, Texas, Virginia, Chicago, and Brooklyn have best dog bite lawyer. It is very important thing to choose the right dog bite lawyer to represent your case in a personal injury lawsuit. Because choosing the right dog bite lawyer/attorney in a personal injury case matters. There are several qualities you should look for when choosing a dog bite claim attorney.
- You must look that your dog bite attorney is experienced in handling dog bite injury cases.
- Choosing a qualified dog bite lawyer can help you receiving compensation in a dog bite claims.
- Ask from previous clients of your dog bite attorney before hiring for dog bite claims.
- Request a Free Consultation to get an idea of how your dog attack lawyer manage your case.